Thursday, October 2, 2008

Answer Boards/Podcasts

I've looked at all these pages, and frankly I can't see myself adding answers to anything, or indeed, bothering to read anyone else's answers. It all seems rather unsociable really. These sites are replacing good old-fashioned face to face communication. That's rather sad I feel. It's just a bit too impersonal for my liking. But I don't really think I'll be spending much time on sites like Yahoo.answers. As an ex-teacher, I cringe when I read some of the written responses that appear on these sites. How the educational system has failed so many people!! Say no more!!

However podcasts can be educational and fantastic for catching up with items of interest that were broadcast during the times when unable to listen to the radio. This has great benefits for people who have access to the internet. But I can also appreciate that there are plenty of people who don't have this access at home and have to rely on libraries and internet cafes. So again there are limitations to the usefulness of these tools.

2 comments:

Sleepydumpling said...

I've never quite got the whole answer boards thing myself. I mean, I can see it would be useful if you need an answer on something REALLY obscure (the power of the internet) or fairly quickly, but I'd much rather find answers in a much more... personal format generally.

ramshackle said...

Mmmm........I don't actually have a lot of faith in some of the answers that appear on some of the posts on the net. I actually treat them somewhat similarly to answers I hear in a face to face situation: listen, take on board, and consider, then follow up further using various other means if I'm not convinced. I'm reading lots atm about the Vista problems, but haven't taken any action using any of the information at this stage.